Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Granola Groundhog Day!

Happy Groundhog Day 2010!

Today was great. It started out with me being able to hop out of bed at 6am and start a jog. Things went a little downhill from there. My headache that I’ve had for the past week made jogging difficult. I decided to stop at only a short one (30min) and put heat on my upper back to help stretch out muscles and rid myself of the headache (it worked! Headache has been gone since this morning!).

Breakfast was first a couple of egg whites with salsa (0) – note to self: remember to put salsa on egg whites more often! I LOVE SALSA

DSCN4651

The next part of breakfast (post jog) was a smoothie with 1c unsweetened Almond Breeze (1), 1/4 banana (0), frozen strawberries (1), handful of spinach (0) and chocolate Amazing Grass (0) – all held together nicely in my insulated Starbucks cup!

DSCN4652

Snack at the office was 1/2c ff cottage cheese (2), 1/3c oats (2), 1/2c mango (0)

DSCN4645

*note: I add hot water to this mixture before I eat it… Makes it a creamy, sweet and fruity oatmeal*

Lunch: 1/2c quinoa cooked in chicken broth (2), spinach (0), leftover black beans and beans in tomato sauce (2) – using up what’s in the fridge you see!

DSCN4647 DSCN4646

Not pictured: sliced cucumbers with some vinegar (0), 2 little jars of baby food because I’m odd (2)

Snack: 1/2c Greek Liberte (1), a few pieces of shredded wheat (2)

DSCN4648

The plan for dinner tonight was fish and veggies. Yep… didn’t feel like cooking. Instead my dinner plate was a replica of Yesterday's lunch… but with less chicken (6)

DSCN4639

I also snacked on a few spoonfuls of homemade granola tonight… so, in keeping with being honest about everything I eat, I’m counting it as (1)pt

Today’s grand total?  22pts

How much water did I drink? 3L plus 3/4L of green tea!

I went to make my Greek yogurt and granola mixture last night only to realize I was out of granola. I stopped at Sobeys in Pickering tonight (15min east of Toronto) after work (and BTW – snagged TWO more containers of the Greek Liberte!!).  I was checking out the granola and wasn’t happy with any of it I was seeing. I decided I would be more satisfied if I just made the granola myself… then I could control the sugar, etc. in it.

I had found a basic granola recipe on the Prevention website and used it as my guideline.

I preheated the oven to 300F. I mixed 6c oats, 1/2c wheat germ, cinnamon, 1/2c unsweetened coconut and 1/2c raisins

DSCN4654

In a glass measuring cup I mixed 1/4c honey (and maybe an extra squirt or two!), 2tbsp water & 2tbsp EVOO (didn’t have vegetable oil!).  Mixed it all together and spread it out over 2 greased cookie sheets

DSCN4658 DSCN4660

I let it cool and ate maybe 2tbsp of it. I am in love. I have officially converted to homemade granola. 1 cup is 4pts.  It made up 7 cups!

Tonight I also attempted yoga on my own. All I did was download a guide sheet from the YogaDownload website – the jury is still out. I will keep at it and try to get more flexible.

Time for bed now folks. Happy Hump Day… hang in there for a longer winter!  Although, I heard on the radio today that the groundhogs are only right 39% of the time… so there’s a 60% chance we’ll have a shorter winter!

Bring on the summer!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the link on the granola recipe! I think I will attempt this at some point! It can be hard to find a decent-point granola.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip about the yogourt being at Sobey's, that might save me a trip all the way across the city to Planet Organic. 1/2 is only 50 cals or so too? That is awesome, I can't wait to find it here.

Your homemade granola looks great, I bookmarked the recipe. Thanks!